For mobile content, the relevant formats for rendering HDR images are RGB10_A2, for unorm data, and B10R11G11 and RGBA16F, for floating-point data.
You must understand the following concepts:
- HDR rendering.
How to optimize the use of HDR rendering
Try using the following optimization steps:
- Use RGB10_A2 UNORM formats for rendering where small increases in dynamic range are required.
- Use B10G11R11 for floating-point rendering as it is only 32bpp, compared to 64bpp with full fp16 float.
HDR rendering steps to avoid
Arm recommends that you:
- Do not use RGBA16F unless:
- B10G11R11 is not providing suitable image quality.
- Alpha is a requirement in the frame buffer.
Negative impacts of implementing HDR rendering incorrectly
The different types of impact you can see are:
- Increased bandwidth usage and reduced application performance.
- Fitting into 128bpp is difficult for multipass rendering to achieve efficiently.